Sunday, August 5, 2007

Free for the Picking



I forget that although picking blackberries is free in the northwest, it is not without hazard and consequence.


Stinging Nettles


Thorny thickets


Scratches, scrapes and wet pants


Next year I am bringing a machete.

I took all three dogs and they had a wonderful time smelling smells and playing in the creek. We only frightened (briefly) one man with a small dog all day which is remarkable. All three of my dogs are mild mannered and sweet but we look scary from afar and it is nearly impossible to walk all three on leash by myself.
We go to off leash areas and out of the way spots but inevitably encounter others.


Pedro is growing into a very well behaved little dog. He stayed very close to me and always came when called, a relatively new phenomenon for this high spirited American Staffordshire Terrier puppy.

Tempest (who is 12 and is surviving Cancer, Hypothyroidism, Arthritis and a host of other health issues) was a trooper. She bush wacked through blackberry brambles more slowly that the rest of us but alway emerged from the thicket wearing a grin. She especially delighted in laying in the cool creek and drinking.

All three of them were exhausted when we got home which was reward enough.





And then there was jam.......with lavender.

3 comments:

Stella said...

OH YUM. I can't imagine why anyone buys blackberries in these parts, ever.

Give your pooches a big smooch from me!

Neuroknitter said...

Yum!!! Those jars of jam look wonderful...Thanks for reminding me that it's that time of year...we have a logging road behind us that is about a mile long with blackberries flanking both sides!!!

Nestling for Delight said...

Ditto. I need to pick berries and make jam. YUM!

Courtney Knits. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr